martes, 6 de julio de 2010

This is DIFFERENT, but rewarding.



July 5th, Demanhadiya.
Today was better than other days. I started the day having breakfast alone because I woke up latter than the others. At 9 o’clock I was at the orphanage. Even though this may seem really odd for you all, I had a really good time playing with the kids. We started playing a game called “catch”. The kids had to throw me a ball and say catch, to learn English. I then tried to teach them “catch the ball” but that was more difficult. We then cleaned up the garden all together and went inside. French guy has already have his group of Sri Lankan kids and I have mine. It seems the bad one like to be with me… why!?!?!? Hahaha. They are lovely, I really learn a lot from them. After playing we went inside and they had their lunch break. I stood there totally amazed because they were eating rice and curry at 11 am in the morning… OMG. Malike asked them to sing a song for us and they did, I didn’t understand a word they sang but I enjoyed it. Then I had to teach them (singing) the names of the basic body parts (head, shoulders, knees, toes, eyes, ears, lips…) and the alphabet and numbers. They really learn fast. We played a little bit more and than the parents came to pick them up. I went back home and did a couple of things before lunch. For lunch we had rice and vegetables, but obviously I can’t see any more rice so I only ate the vegetables (very spicy as always!). I laid down 15 minutes and then French guy and I decided to go to Negombo town; that was one hell of an experience!!! We took bus 242 to Negombo and it cost us about 20cents each. When we got to Negombo French guy needed to get money and cigarettes… I only say this: here in Negombo there isn’t a “Tabaccos” in every corner. One hour latter we finally were able to pick bus 905 to Brown’s Beach (a supposed to be lovely beach… yeah right). I’ve taken a couple of pictures that really shocked me during this evening. We then arrived to the beach, and it wasn’t that lovely. It’s a huge stretch of beach but there are parts covered with plants. The waves were pretty big and you could see rubbish everywhere. We also saw some tourist, the first one in days. I think people say that Negombo is so fantastic because they stay all day in their 5 star hotels drinking alcohol in their new room with airco. Yeah, that’s one thing, but real Negombo is a really different one. We walked for almost half an hour and thanks god French guy was there. As a woman (yes, I am a woman) I prefer not to be alone here. At the beach a group of Sri Lankan guys came to me and I didn’t like that. Afterwards an elder guy also came and then the group of guys came back. I was surrounded by them, and at thet point I started to be a bit frightend. This happened because French guy was about 30m away watching something, so the guys thought I was alone. To solve the problem I just started to walk really fast towards French guy yelling his name so that the other would think he was my boy friend. It worked, but still with FG(= French guy) they made comments. We stayed a while there looking how some tried to surf and then we wanted to get back home. It was about 6 o’clock, but here the sun goes down at about 7pm. I still can’t believe we didn’t have any problems with the buses to get back home, it al went perfect. Buses here may we old, dirty and drive like mad, but they are faster than the TIB (Transport Illes Balears). The funniest thing was that the bus driver charged us more due to our skin colour. We know, and everybody here knows, that one bus ticket Negombo .- Demanhaduya costs 15 rupees. Well, he charged us 26 each, and you can’t even imagine how pissed up I was at the time. I know 26 rupees isn’t a lot of money, but it still makes me angry that they try to rip us of and we can’t do anything about it. However, we got back home alive (after this bus ride I was really glad to be still alive) had a shower and ate. Now FG and I were listening music at the varanda and in a while we’ll watch a movie (Paris, just to miss home a little bit more…). It was a full day, but I enjoyed it.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario