jueves, 22 de julio de 2010

So good.

July 14th, Demanhandiya.
Yey yey, a new volunteer has arrived. I’ve already nick named her “French Lady” and everyone knows her that way now. She’s exactly how I imagined: to start with, WEIRD (it would have shocked me fore is she would be normal for my eyes though…). Curly fluffy hair, hippy dressed and 4Curly fluffy hair, hippy dressed and 45 years old, divorced, two sons, 21 and 24 years old. Oh well, at least FG has someone to talk to in French! Gishan came this morning to bring her to the house and he asked us if everything is OK. He told us to come to Colombo Friday morning with the bus so that FG could get his new Visa and then we would set off to Wadduwa, where there will be a get together with all the volunteers here in Sri Lanka. I don’t know why he also needed to ask me “Tara, have you got a Sri Lankan boyfriend at the moment?” Taiwan princess couldn’t stop laughing and I thought Gishan would also ask her the same question, but now, it only was for me... Weird, do I look like a catcher or something!?. Now we’re waiting for lunch and at 4 I’m going to paint some walls at the orphanage, I miss painting so this is perfect! But now I really want to explain to you yesterday’s night, it was SO funny… FG and I came back from Negombo town around 6 o’clock in the evening, we read, music and waited for dinner. Princess continued talking on the phone for almost 2 hours (I would love to see her bill at the end of the month! She could probably buy another ticket to Sri Lanka with everything she’s been calling!). We had dinner and I watched some movies of a school event of one of Malika’s grandsons. All the family when to bed at about 9.30pm, logical if you know they wake up at 4.30-5.00. we then went upstairs and watched a French movie, with English subtitles of course. Princess was tired and went to bed, I stayed talking with FG at the terrace… it was about 00.15am. As you all may have noticed very well due to my irregular posts and answers on facebook, here in Sri Lanka Internet works when it want to. The same for water, sometimes we have, sometimes we don’t… and no problem, I assure you it’s only a matter of time till you get used to it. but yesterday night, suddenly, we noticed there is more… electricity. There was a pretty big rainfall outside, and wind was increasing significantly, but still, that’s normal around here. The funniest part was that, in 1 second, all the light went out, even the 2-3 lights of the street. Ok, without light you can do everything with candles, and we did. But then, SHIT, no electricity = no FAN! Oh shit shit shit. That was actually a big problem, not only because we would wake up more tired that when we went to sleep nor that we would be sweating all the night, but… the mosquitoes. No fan and the mosquitoes dupli or triplicate themselves… I had one of those bad laugh attack and started to do the silliest thing to solve the problem. FG jumped on a char and started to manually make the fan move… I have a picture, it’s so funny! Then, a cat came inside our room and started eating our food… it was a crazy night. I didn’t want to sleep in my room because with the heat I would die, so I just put my matras on the terrace and slept there. FG stayed watching HOUSE on his Ipad (or something like it) but I fell asleep. Suddenly, electricity came back to the house, and in a matter of seconds it abandoned us again. But you know what? What did it matter? We were in a house with beds and we weren’t alone… isn’t that the most important? Who cares if we have internet, electricity or water? Bah… no problem, for me it’s perfect. When I woke up this morning I saw myself sleeping alone on the terrace, I really didn’t know where the hell I was. Oh yes, of course, I slept at the terrace I though, and started laughing. I moved the bed inside, next to the door to have some air but inside, the wind storm we had was terrible. I loved it though! So, what do you all think? Funny, right? But what makes me laugh more is the fact that it doesn’t impress me anymore… its just normal, the way I’m living here for me is normal… Wow, I love it… just living with the basics.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario