domingo, 11 de julio de 2010

Kandy, as sweet as candy!!!

July 10th, Kandy.
Sorry sorry sorry, I haven’t written in two days, but we’ve done so many things… I’ll try to remember everything: Yesterday at about 2.30pm we went to the airport bus station to grab the bus to Kandy. In the morning we worked at the orphanage and Malika made food for us early so we could go as soon as possible. It went fantastic, the tuctuc driver took us to the bus station and 1 minute after arriving there we already sat in our NON-A/C bus to Kandy. We got the first row in the bus and we sat all the three of us together. But… the bus trip was madness. Remember the wicked bus of Harry Potter? Our ride was more or less the same… I haven’t been frightened using public transport here in Sri Lanka, but I assure you that in this trip there were moments I thought “That’s it”. After 3 ½ hours we finally arrived to Kandy, and it was cloudy and almost raining. We got a tuctuc to the Hotel (who tried to charge us 250 rupees instead of 100... didn’t work though ;) ) and we saw Rosie. We talked a while and decided to go all to the Tooth Temple. The hotel is bloody perfect; it’s exactly facing the Kandy Lake and its 1 minute away of the Temple. We got there and the 4 guards refused to let us in… we didn0t have the right clothes. Ok, no problem, we got back to the hotel and changed. When we went back they let us pass, and man, it was worth it. The Tooth Temple is the most famous attraction in Kandy and it’s supposed to guard the Tooth Relic of Lord Buddha. We just got in time to see one of the ceremonies and it was beautiful. I was loving it from the first moment because they made of take our shoes of and walk around with our fresh wet feet (It had already stopped raining). From the inside is was as beautiful as from the out, we all enjoyed a lot. After finishing the tour I started talking to one of the guys working there (who was really nice) and then we met up all to have dinner together. We went to one of those beautiful rare places called “Pizza Hut” and enjoyed our meal… Hahaha. After that, we went back to the hotel where we all sleep and some of us stayed talking on the terrace looking over the veranda. I went to bed early, at about 11 o’clock pm. FG, Taiwan princess and I shared a room with 2 beds, so it wasn’t really comfortable, and it was full of cockroaches (all of them I had to kill because the other two were afraid). I woke up today at 6:30 am because the noise of crying and screaming kids didn’t let me sleep more. FG and Taiwan princess didn’t want to come to the Elephant orphanage, and at the end we only went Abdulah, Rosie, Veronica and I with the van, and it was worth it. We did the trip in hour and got to the place outside of Kandy. Instead of paying 2000 rupees, due to showing our volunteering card, we only had to pay 100 rupees. We got inside and saw them get fed. To see all those elephant in the wild was beautiful, I’ve taken loads of pictures. We also saw the blind elephant and the one who only has 3 legs. That was really impressive. After an hour we all walked to the river where we saw all the elephants have a bad. We sat down at the terrace with a coke and stayed there almost an hour. On the way back I fell asleep in the van and it took us almost 2 ½ hours to come back due to traffic. I waited for TP and FG at the terrace and we ate at the hotel’s restaurant. They had chicken curry and rice and I had an omelet with vegetables. FG stayed at the hotel and TP and I went to walk around the city, we did and saw loads of things. To start, I managed to get a better room for 2€ more, with a private bathroom and no insects. Then it started to rain really bad but we continued walking. Thanks mom for the plastic capuchin, it saved my life today. We went around some shops, the market, supermarket and the city’s gardens. The funny thing is we made a lot of friends. Some guy started talking to me and I just responded back. At the end I figured out he has a brother working in Malaga and he brought us walking near the hotel. We entered a jewelry shop that he said we HAD to see and we stayed talking to the owner about Sri Lanka’s mines and precious stones. Maybe we’ll go back tomorrow. Then we visited the market but we ended in a dark place where you, mom, wouldn’t have liked to see me. Even though, we got out before dark and nothing bad happened. Then another guy started talking to us and we went to an Art and Culture Auditorium at the lake near our hotel. We bought the entrance and saw the entire show of music & dance of Sri Lanka. I had a shower and we had dinner. Now Taiwan Princess is sleeping and I just came back from the terrace, where I was talking to a Turkish couple who are on holiday. We talked about my volunteering, football, Spain’s economy and their son, who is a doctor living in Rumania. They were really nice, and reminded me a bit of Oma and Opa. Taking of Oma, how is she? Is she likening Australia? I miss her, like I miss all of you guys reading this. Today was Jack’s birthday, but I didn’t have his phone number to call. If someone has it, can you give regards from me? I mean Jack Rohde, just in case someone thinks different.
I can’t believe tomorrow will be July 11th already. 11 days I’ve been here, and so many things have happened and I’ve learned. If I may be honest, I don’t miss Mallorca, only the people in it. I’m looking forward going back to Holland and stay there a couple of weeks with mom, Oma and the Cataldi Family, I really am. Love you all lots, best regards from Ceylon, xxxxxxxxx.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario