miércoles, 14 de julio de 2010

I love nothingness

July 13th, Demanhandiya.
Yesterday we didn’t do anything…. I suppose it was because we were all so tired after the fantastic weekend we had. In the morning no one when to the school, Malika let us sleeping, and Taiwan princess came back home from the hotel at about 10 o’clock in the morning. We had our coffee and we got back to bed; we didn’t sleep but we talked and talked and talked. I also wrote my diary and passed the photos from the camera to my PC. Then FG woke up, it was already 1.30 pm. We had lunch (vegetables and some chicken, STILL SPICY!) and then Taiwan princess and I fell asleep again. See? We didn’t do anything, hahaha. At 4pm we went to the orphanage to play with the kids and it was fun, they came and painted with us. I tried to talk to them but it’s very difficult, the most I got out from a boy was “My name Janika” and a big smile. We all had to clean the garden because there was an announcement yesterday for all the schools, orphanages etc, that there is a small “epidemic” here in Sri Lanka. A lot of people are dying now from some kind of mosquito bite, and that’s why we had to cut all the plants and clean everything, just to be able to see the ground and avoid all water possible. We came back home and had tee time. That’s always a good moment of the day, you don’t have anything else to do and you enjoy that by drinking some tee at the veranda. Yes, it’s fantastic. And after tee time? We started making bracelets for all the 16 kids at the orphanage, and I also wrapped my presents in (yes yes yes, YOUR presents!!!). Shower and dinner (I only had some soup, wasn’t hungry at all) and then we went up again all the three of us. Oh, I almost forgot… mom, BE CAREFUL! Remember I always said before coming that I would meet an Indian and I wouldn’t come back? Guess what… Hahaha. He’s not Indian, but Sri Lankan, studies aircraft engineering and is 23 years old. It’s the guy from the bus I explained about. Hahahaha. Just talking via my Sri Lankan mobile phone, DON’T WORRY! He lives 4 hours away from here, and I’m definitely not going to take that bus again to Kandy, Ha!. My roomy and I went to sleep at 00.30am, it was a good day.
Today I woke up at 6.40, like always. I don’t know why, but here in Demanhandiya I almost always get up very early (not as early as Malika though, she and her family wake up at 05.00am!). I read, had a coffee and listened to music. Now I have to wake up the others because we have to be at the school at 9 o’clock and I don’t want to be late, I hate that! I still have a couple of thing to tell about yesterday… when we had dinner and Taiwan princes and French guy disappeared, I stayed talking with Malika. I asked some questions about the kids at the orphanage and everything around it. Some things really hit me very hard. This is what I know now: there are 16 boys, from 5 to 16 years old. The main reason why they are here is because their “parents” wanted to have sex without any anticonception method and…ups, a baby came to the world. Because they can’t afford a child they give it away to child care in Sri Lanka and they got to the orphanage. Some others lived with other family, like aunts or grandmothers, but they weren’t taken care of. Like a small boy of 7 years of age… he lived with his grandmother who is an alcoholic. The woman didn’t take care of him, wouldn’t pay his school and didn’t give him anything to eat. Thanks god some neighbors knew about this and called child care. But still, it’s hard to hear these stories… The school only has 16 kids because they don’t have the money to afford more kids (but they do have space for them). One year scholarship for all the 16 kids costs about 40.000 rupees, some 300€, and they almost can’t pay it. I’m trying to convince FG and TP to each of us give 100€ to them and then Malika doesn’t have to worry about scholarship this year, but maybe they’ll be picky on money so I’ll just pay in with my SYC salary.

1 comentario:

  1. mami intento meter un comentario y se fue todo al corno. . . y yo hace media hora que estoy probando. . . me tienes que enseñar.

    ResponderEliminar